Initially it was looking good, the first hour was above average action ride practically repeating things that worked in the first movie. Sadly, after that nothing but senseless exaggeration in terms of “lets maximize everything that worked before” happens. Therefore Drax’s ability to not understand sarcasm is used basically in every other scene, Groot is even more cutter etc.
The length, almost 2,5 hour, is simply overwhelming for such an elementary story and after the first hour it becomes tiring, lobotomizing, nothing remarkable happens. Those movies should have been 50 minutes long.
Visually breathtaking yet heartless story from Star Wars universe placed between episode III and IV.
It’s cruel reality and sadness that even at 21st century the well written FEMALE characters are practically non existing and Rogue One is no exception. Felicity Jones’s Jyn Erso was very unpleasant character, she was actually quite a bitch, switching from one extreme to another. From total disinterest, with nothing but blink of an eye, to best and most loyal fan of rebel alliance. All of that makes it pretty hard to sympathize with her.
Other characters suffer in almost identical way. There is no room left for empathy, Anybody who watched Star Wars knows that this story is about stealing construction plans of death star and the ones who stole them died. You know they are going to die but you don’t care, it’s cold and impersonal.
The cheap jokes, that could be easily invented by 12 years old kid, only further undermine the atmosphere. Worth mentioning is robot unit K-2SO and its sarcastic sense of humour sadly it’s similar to but not as funny as Marvin, the Paranoid Android from hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy.
The Soundtrack was really terrible, strange hybrid of the original themes from Star Wars and something that was made to sound like Star Wars. Instead of that they should either pick just the original themes or try to compose completely new tracks.
What has happened is a complete separation from Star Wars and their unique story telling and what’s left is just a soulless good-looking sci-fi body floating through space. Body that you don’t care about. Body that you leave lying on the ground and let it rot.
Name so long you have to be diver to be able to pronounce it in one go.
It looks like a Transformers but it’s not. It looks like a Transformers sequel but it’s not. What it is? Oh yeah, the second TMNT movie, which is even worse than last Transformers.
- Megan Fox – checked
- Weird robotic thing – checked
- cheesy jokes – checked
- tragic storytelling and characters – checked
If you love yourself or your kids you can go watch the original animated tv show but definitely not this attempt to make another series to milk money.
Another video game adaptation, but it is a good one?
- People who don’t know what Assassin’s Creed game series is will spend most of the time thinking how ridiculous this movie is, but on the other hand people who know what’s going on will be probably bored to death
- Although the movie is not slowing down at the end you will realize that extra 30 or 40 minutes would helped to secure proper and decent ending. Dont get me wrong, it wasn’t that awful yet it seemed somehow shortened.
- Dust, dust everywhere. I leave it for you to decide whether it’s good or bad thing.
- Flat characters
- Great actions scenes in the past scenes. It’s shame that the story in the past is basically ignored
- Focusing too much to the main general story instead of some kind of new “Ezio story”
To summ it up, it could have been much better, but also much worse, let’s be thankful that this is not another totally failed video game adaptation.